Banner

Monday, October 24, 2005

This is going to be alllll over the place....

Okay, here's the post that everyone (okay Heather) has been waiting for. Pictures!!!


So here we go. Here is a picture of my FINISHED scarf. This would be my first completed project! Aren't you proud?? I know I'm proud that I finished it. In this picture you can see where I increased stiches by accident. Whoops! Good going Jes! No wonder I'm having such a hard time with my ribbing. Sheesh!

Okay. It was a bit of a disaster, this thing...scarf, I guess. I guess it's not really done since I haven't woven in the ends yet, but here is a more fabulous pose wherin I hid the nasty increases and the ends.


See how much lovlier it looks?? It's still not particularly photogenic, but it is soft and warm since it's 100% polyster. It's out of Lion Suede. I know it's not the greatest yarn, but it was my first project. The fact that I finished it is astonishing to me since it was driving my wrists crazy. I had to push and pull my way through this because the yarn would get "stuck" on itself. Major pain in trying to keep your gauge even, but I did pretty good with it (if you don't count the radom increses, that is.)

Alright, onto the next project! Another scarf! Shocker. Hey! I'm trying to learn here. I was looking at all these projects online today that said they were "easy". Well I guess they're only easy if you have the slightest idea of how to "increase normally" or YO. I saw a picture of yarning over today, so I got that covered. Obviously I can increase (not the right way) but I'm sure I can figure it out. It's just a little overwhelming when you see it all there at once. Just not ready for that thank you very much.

ANYHOW, first let me tell you how one person can get this equation:

Yarn hank -----> yarn ball = 6 hours

!!!!

I know. It's absurd. But then again, so am I. I started out with a lovely hank of manos de uruguay cotton stria and ended up with this:

What a disaster. I know it's kind of hard to tell but that "lump" in the center is one big knot! It was awful. That's what you get when you don't know what you're doing and just dive in. I was sooo upset by 2:00 am which is when I finally gave up and ended up with this:



So I got me a fairly nice roll (toilet paper roll, that is), two mini rolls, good for a few rows, and a big mess for the cat to play with. She's highly entertained, and I'm highly annoyed. Par for the course between us really.

See what happens with this yarn is it does this funny pilling/fuzzing thing wherein it gets a little fuzzy around two different strands that makes it seem like it's in a knot, when it's really just stuck together. But, if you happen to pull one of the strands, both come. When the yarn is in a big hank, even if it's all layed out nice, you still pull both strands through the middle of the circle. Do that a couple times and it will take you six hours too. Ofcourse, you wouldn't do that in the first place. I know you, you're smarter than that. Plus now that you've learned from me, even if you do, you won't go blabbing it on the internet like i do.

Okay...NEXT PHOTO PLEASE!

Okay, here is the very beginning of the ribbed scarf I'm making with the cotton stria. It's hard to tell in this picture what it looks like. I'll put the other one in here in a sec so you can see it without the flash. I would have more done, but I kept having to rip stitches out and go back several rows to fix a mistake. Constantly k3 or p3 instead of 2 and getting screwed up with the ribs. Which, ofcourse, I wouldn't notice until it was waaaaay wrong. Then I would rip back a few rows and a loop would slip and I'd have to stitch it back up again. Huuuuuge pain in the butt, and major motivation to pay attention!

Here is the picture without the flash. Doesn't really do the soft white color justice, but it does show the ribbing pattern better. Apart from a bit of gap in one stitch (which I think I can get out with a little creative "washing and blocking"), it's doing pretty well. Especially if you consider what the yarn has been through!

Had enough pictures?? I didn't think so. That's all you're going to get of my knitting right now, cuz there's nothing more to give. I could show you a picture of the satanic yarn that almost made me go insane, but instead I will show you a picture of a satanic cat.

The shine is not pleased. When the shine's not happy, nobody's happy. Except:

The lovely Jordan, who is generally entertained by the cat being unhappy, and frankly, goes out of her way to acheive this. Which is just fine in my book. Isn't she pretty! (and no, i did not pose those dainty paws of hers. She crosses them like that on her own.)

Okay, I'm done gushing. I have to go cook dinner and eat so I can have to screw up....errr knit some more on my scarf. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home