Banner

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Change, Change, Chaaaange

So, as you can see, things are a little different around here. Alright, alright, a lot different. I decided that I never really like my old background and that I wanted white behind my typing, and this is was happens. Something totally unexpected. I'm pretty happy with it, so for now it sticks.

Anyhow, there isn't much else to report, except, I dunno', that I've never knitted right in the first place and I'm back to square one. That's not a little embarrassing or anything. Just thought I'd share.

Yesterday I was thinking that I at least purled right, but after looking at the book, I'm clearly wrong about that too. I must say the drawn images in the first book I was using were not nearly as helpful as that actual photographs in my new Instant Expert: Knitting book. Soooo, it's not like I've been knitting wrong for ages and I'll have to do that whole old dog, new tricks thing, but trying to do it right is like pulling teeth with no anathesia. Especially since I'm again back to using that damn fingering weight cotton crap that was killing me before.

So now, I have a mostly finished scarf, knit entirely backwards, and nothing else. I sat last night for litterally hours, trying to figure out where it had all gone wrong. Obviously being left to my own devices with only the internet and a poorly drawn book, was the first mistake. Especially when you don't find the right site before you start. After that, it was all down hill. If you manage to
  1. Read the directions wrong
  2. Have terrible spacial relations
  3. Cast on backwards
Then you are most likely to knit backwards as well. Hell if you're going to knit backwards, you might as well purl backwards while you're at it. Otherwise it's just no fun. So off I went. One garter stitch scarf with random, pointless, increses and one 3/4 done scarf with mostly lovely 2x2 ribbing are now sitting in my house wondering why none of the other kids will play with them. They think they're fine, but they don't know, and they never will.

Now I must finish a scarf and knit it the wrong way without unteaching myself the right way. We'll see how well that goes over. In the meantime I am repeatedly casting on that damn yarn onto my US1 Turbos, getting about 10 rows, screwing up, ripping or cutting it off, and screaming loudly enough to freak the dog AND the cat out. Last night was good times.

Hopefully I will get a chance to get somewhere tonight. Once I get a few rows in, it starts to go fairly quickly, but I manage to screw up all the same. By the time I realize what's happened the dropped stitch has laddered all the way to the cast on and is gone forever. Surely there's a way to fix it, but who the hell wants to figure that out on really splitty cotton in fingering weight? Not I. I figure that starting over is just dues to pay for all the stitches that I have wrongly knit. Thankfully that isn't a very large number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home