Banner

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Mission: Unpossible

First let me say that I saw that Heather tagged me for the knitting meme, but that I have decided to hold off answering it. I have ALOT (read too many) projects planned to be completed before Christmas. Hence I will be getting much needed experience with a lot of different yarns and needles, so I will answer it in the new year when I'm a little more clear on what I like and don't like.

Now back to our sorely overdue post that is going to be waaay too freaking long because it should really have been two posts, but I'm not going to make it two posts because I know that you guys will know that it wasn't two posts in the first place and that they were all put up on the same day anyhow. So who am I kidding? Having written that run on sentence for practice, here is my run on post:

Friday or Saturday this loveliness arrived in the mail. I would tell you what it will be when it knits up, but then I'd have to kill you. You're going to have to wait until it's given to it's recipient before I give you the details. In the meantime, you're going to have to live off of the extreme close ups and the jumbled messes I give you. Afterwards, I will give you better pictures and explain.
Until then. Tough cookies.


However, below are some of those extreme closeups I was talking about. One of the front and one of the back.

All I want to say is that this is a VERY small sample of that actual thing that I 've been working on. Also, I'd like you to notice one small thing. That being that most of what you see here is seed stitch. Now, think about what happens when seed stitch goes just a little wrong. Not alot, just a little, say, one stitch. What does it turn into? [annoying jeopardy music here]

You got it, one by one rib. What a mess. Lets just say th
at I was, oh I don't know, 1400 stitches through this baby when I realized that I had screwed up in a couple of places. Nothing consistent, that would be too easy. I was not a happy camper, I tell you. But, since I had JUST started and didn't want to live with it looking like crap forever, I riiiiiiiiiiipped it out. I was kind of surprised at how much yarn went into that whole process. Seed stitch takes up a lot of extra yarn doing all thosee crossings in front and back. Not only that it takes so. freaking. long. for-ev-er. That would be more the reason that I was upset about the ripping. I vowed to pay far more attention next time, and managed to make it past the edging. I have more of this to do, but it's a ways off, and I'll be happy to do it then because it will mean that I was that close to finishing.
So this is where I was on Monday night, I think. Which is why I took the pictures. Except that the pictures I took were hideous and yellow and had to be redone, hence waiting so long to blog about it. Ofcourse this only means you get to see more progress at once. So, now onto the really fun stuff. d

[Enter picture of disaster waiting to happen]


That's right kids, all five of those skeins are attached to the work. Welcome to Intarsia-madness. I can tell already that this technique is going to look fabulous. And that I'm going to pay for it in the process. Lets just say that this project is no longer what I would call transportable. Not even from upstairs to downstairs. At this point I'm thinking about doing what this woman suggested on the knitty board which is to turn me, instead of the work. I would do that whole knitting backwards deal, but honestly I don't think I need to make this anymore confusing than it is. Really, I'm good. The five skeins are plenty. Thanks.

So this is what intarsia looks like upclose and personal. It's kind of cool to see all those little colored loops sticking out there. At least I don't have to think about where to change colors. Thie project involves straight lines only. No Curves Ahead. I don't need to make that more confusing either. I am, however, thinking of slowing myself down a little to learn how to knit continental. I'm thinking that would be a good thing to know since it's been such a freaking pain doing all those little seed I know it will slow me down a little now, but I'm thinking that it's like learning how to type the right way. Slower at first and then much faster later. Might as well do it now while I'm still impressionable and not stuck in my ways. Although this project might not be the best place. Perhaps on those little bags instead.

Anyhow, that is enough from me and my enormously long update. All I'd like to say is that when this thing drives me batty, I do have a refuge. My elann order came in yesterday so I have four balls of alpaca silk for the lacey scarf to work with. I bought a pair of size 5 addi's bamboo circs to work with. I'm very excited. Especially since, while this may make me extremely unpopular with the greater part of the knitting population, I am not the hugest fan of the metal addi turbos. I do like my size ones, but the bigger and heavier they get, the harder time I have keeping the loops on the needles. They may be faster to knit with, but I guarantee I use up all the time and more trying to get stitches back on the needles or re-knitting because I dropped the damn thing. I'm sure they're lovely for all you coordinated people, but they're giving me a hell of a time.

So that's it from me. Not that that wasn't enough. I mean, if you got this far, you deserve an award since I wasn't particularly humorous or entertaining today. Plus, did you notice how long the post is, I mean it's like it goes on forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever..........

Well, you get it.

1 Comments:

  • Your pictures look amazing! Your whole blog looks great. Looks like you've been doing lots of knitting, can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    By Blogger Heather, at 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home