Banner

Friday, December 09, 2005

Today's post brought to you by the letter M

And R, but I like the M better.

So here we are, another few steps closer to these things being done and out the door. Yeah, right, like finishing means I'm going to wrap them and pack them. Have you seen the pile of stuff I have to wrap?? Well, no, I guess you haven't. You'll just have to take my word for it, it's going to be awhile. That's a lot of wrapping.
Anyhow, last night I managed to sand, base coat (with gesso), paint two layers of color, polka-dot (now a verb as well as a noun), and put two layers of sparkly-ness on these puppies. Aren't you proud? Too bad I'm not done. The painting part is finished. I hope. I have to keep talking myself out of removing the polka dots. They're cute, but they are over the top a little. They kind of hurt my head. You know, the way it feels to walk into the girly dress up aisle in the toy store. Like,

Ack! I'm blinded by pink sequins and cheap feathers.

Well, maybe not that bad, but along those lines. The more I talk about it, the more I want to paint them over. The thing is, what you can't see is that I did the sides in the opposing colors and that was sort of a pain in the butt. Not only that, with that shiny stuff on them (it's a top coat sealer/finisher deal), I'd probably have to sand them to start over. That just sounds like waaay too much work right now. I think we'll be sticking with the initial plan.

That means that all I have left is to put the finishers on the background and on the letters. For that purpose I have these. You can see on the M up there that I put a piece of ribbon on the backer. It's not glued, but I wanted you to get an idea of what I was planning. One vertical, one horizontal and then where they meet these little rosette things will go. Then a few of these beads glued onto the letters for added interest - hopefully elegantly and not tack-ily (I'm making words up all over the place today. Sesame street would not be proud), and I'll be done. In theatre we have a phrase that the crew loves and the artists hate - done is good. As in, it doesn't matter whether or not it is right or wrong, if it's finished, it's perfect. Part of me loves this and part of me hates this. Tonight before I glue on the letters on, I'll be fighting myself tooth and nail about the polka dots. It will be interesting to see which side wins.

I've got $5 on the side that the artist hates...any takers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home