Banner

Monday, January 30, 2006

Exhibitng stashing behavior...

I apologize in advance for the absolute randomness and non flowing nature of this post. Despite what I may claim later about why it's so bad, I was not, in fact, drunk while typing.

This post was supposed to be about my weekend activites involving sock progress, cotton yarn and teaching myself to knit continental. It was supposed to show you the pink hat that I made to teach myself to hold the yarn in the other hand. The hat that I managed to make in six hours. The hat that nearly killed my hands due to cotton yarn from hell. However, this cannot happen today because despite the fact that I took pictures this morning, loaded them on the computer and mailed them to myself, when I got to work there were no pictures in my inbox. Boo.
I also ran a virus scan at that time, but I had the internet explorer window open, which is probably a no no, and I imagine that my computer at home is all pissed off and has an error message up about the situation. I had planned on checking on it when I went back for the sock, a picture of which is also in the unsent email, however I failed to go back for the sock. Therefore I got no email and the sock got no attention. Now the sock is angry too. Currently my office is full of pissed off things. When I get home, I'll have to open the door and send the cat in first as a safety measure. That way if something jumps out, at least it won't be me. Don't look at me like that, she's not my cat, she runs fast, and she could really use the exercise =P
So, onto what I can write about today....more yarn purchased. Pay no mind to the yarn that I have coming in the mail soon, hopefully today, but you didn't hear that from me because if I say that it won't come and I really want it to come today and the random Cascade 220 whose color I liked in the store but then decided that it was wrong for the recipient, and the leftovers from the Christmas knitting and the blanket, and the fingering weight - not suitable for socks - yarn that has no purpose in life, and the.... well you get the picture. Anyhow, I bought more yarn. I mean, I have something in mind for the yarn. I specifically went shopping for the yarn. But the other yarn at home had a purpose when it was purchased too, and now it has none. So what I'm trying to say is, and I'm not really sure how this happened, but I think I have a stash-ette. I'm not proud of this - and yet I'm hording yarn. Shhhh, tell no one, especially not Boyfriend about all the yarn floating around the house. I have him, and myself partially, fooled about how much yarn one can actually amass in five months, on a virtually non existent budget. I'm to the point of purchasing a container for the yarn to hide keep it. Something not clear, so you couldn't see what was contained inside. Something to mask the stashing behavior within. Something that would fit cleverly in the closet in the office where Boyfriend is not allowed to tread because the gifts are stowed there.
If you are wondering why I would want to cleverly conceal my stashing behavior, let me clarify. Firstly, I'm in denial I am not yet ready to admit that I have one, and secondly I make fun of Boyfriend's pack rat-edness constantly, and if he knew that I was stashing something, anything, it could be used against me in a court of law before a jury of our pets. As I am constantly fighting the packy-ness of Boyfriend in order to not have to repeatedly move large boxes of loose change and old receipts, I cannot bear to have anything to be used against me. So, non clear, cleverly concealed boxes it is.

Anyhow, back to the yarn! I have been thinking about what yarn to use for the elephant from LMKG, and I haven't been able to decide. I know that I absolutlely refuse to use two peices of sportweight doubled. I'm sure there is a rhyme and reason to this, but considering you are supposed to use the same yarn doubled, I don't really care what the reason is. I decided to simply buy worsted weight yarn which is what the gauge calls for. So, I looked around at Joann's, Michael's and AC Moore and finally decided to screw the fact the elephants generally come in gray and buy blue and white variegated yarn. It's the Joann's collection and I think it's called Dolcetta. It's a wool/cotton/nylon mix made with one chunky ply. I thought of Lion Brand Jiffy, which supposedly is mohair like, and wool ease, but none of them were soft enough. The Joann's yard was cuddly and I like the random-ness of the colors. I thought about a pink elephant, but the pink they had made me a little queasy, so blue it is.
I also bought a lovely sea foam green skein of wool ease to make another hat. Really it's to practice the continental knitting, and that's the best way for me to do it. It's also a good thing for me to have something small (the sock) and something else big on the needles to keep my hands from cramping up, so I'll probably cast this puppy on tonight and split my time with the sock and it. Just please don't tell the sock, I don't need it to get madder than it already is.

1 Comments:

  • A stash! How could that happen??? LOL. I have to admit I'm developing a small stash myself but so far I've been pretty good about not buying too much. I was also recently contemplating what size plastic bin would fit best in my closet...we're in trouble.

    By Blogger Heather, at 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home