Banner

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Mystery Project Solved

So there it is! This is what I've been working on for about forever, I'd say. It took from sometime in October until a few days ago to complete. I'm guessing that it was about 66 hours. It took me about 15 minutes a row to do, which at 140 stitches across, is pretty reasonable. Maybe not for straight stockinette, but when you consider that I had to do 5 yarn crosses for the intarsia, doesn't seem so bad. So 36,960 stitches later and you get one, fairly large baby blanket.


So, here are all the steps that you missed because I had to hide it from someone. Here is the yarn when it came in, with the size 6 addis. Based on the pattern, which sadly only gave weights for yarns, and not mileage, I way over ordered. That and the fact that I didn't like how dark all the colors were initially. After I looked at the pattern again, I ordered more yarn of the lighter colors of Shine to counter the darkness of the green, pink, and purple.Here is the beginning of the color work. The first 29 rows were seed stitch (which takes this thrower, forever!) and stockinette and you're off to intarsia-land for what seems like an eternity.

Then after awhile, you end up with a whole bunch of tangles skeins as you switch from one color to another. You could, in theory, have 8 skeins attached at once in this process. I chose to do this on our bed so I could have enough space to keep it straight. Here is a close up of what the skein wrapping looks like on the back side:

And here is the front
And here is the finished picture of the back:
I thought this picture was fuzzy at first, but if you click on it, you can see it's because of the yarn wraps between the squares (and it's a little fuzzy) that makes it look that way. Also here is a close up of the finished back.
So, right after this post (because I have pissed off blogger with too many photos in this post) I will put the official FO report.

Sorry that it's been so long since I posted, but I was sick yesterday and it took me forever on Tuesday and today to catch up on everyone's blog, and I'm still not done! Ack!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home