Banner

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Let there be gauge!

Last night I sat down with my new size 4s in hand (another set of size 4s that is. There is no way I'm swatching on 26" circs) and began my swatch. At this point, I pretty much didn't care what it came out to be, I was going to make it work. I was ready to change the entire pattern to convince something that would fit the gauge I got. Instead, by some miracle yet to be explained, I managed to get gauge. I know it's a little early, and don't worry I haven't cast off yet, but it's looking good. This is the inch that I managed last night and I got another 1.5 inches done at lunch.
Firstly I would like to express how freaking hard it was to get a focused picture of this swatch. I took five pictures and tried every setting on the damn camera to get it to work and this is the best I could do. It's still a little hazy, but it's the best of the bunch. Most of them look like blue blobs decided to have a race.
Secondly, I would like to say that there's no way that I'm going to be able to knit exclusively on this project. This yarn makes me want to drink enough adult beverages to keep several local liquor stores in business. It brings a whole new meaning to splitty. It's microspun splitty. It's giving the addi's a run for their money. I'm not even sure if I'm going to be able to knit this cami on my beloved crystal palace needles that I bought, because they might be too pointy. However, I'm ready to wallow in alcohol cross that bridge when I come to it. The points on those babies wear down a little bit with use (which I like), so perhaps it will be pointy long enough to get me through the lace section at the bottom and worn enough to make it through the stockinette. Otherwise I'll be making my way to the liquor yarn store to deal with the issue.
So the plan is to finish this swatch, wash it, pray, measure again, and put it down until Friday. I need a break from this crap yarn (not that I have strong opinions), until then. Initially I thought that the challenge in this Olympic endeavor was going to be knitting my first garment, but now I see it will be knitting my first garment while on several illicit chemicals.

Moving on brighter things. I received this in the mail yesterday:

Look how nicely she wrapped it up!



This is some Vesper Sock yarn that I had managed to get from Knitterly Things. I'm so very excited. I've been covetting this yarn for some time now and managed to catch it in her shop. She also sells through Kpixie, but I've never caught it when they had stock. People eat this yarn up, and now that I have some, I can see why. It's soft, squishy and beautiful.
My plan is that this will be my reward for making it through the cami without having to check myself into Betty Ford.

5 Comments:

  • I got one of those packages yesterday, too. The same yarn was in it. :-) Don't know yet what I'm going to do with it, though I'm considering feather-and-fan socks.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 4:25 PM  

  • Oooh, pretty sock yarn! I just ordered some Lorna's Laces yesterday for Sockapaloooza. I threw in 2 extra skeins fof myself. Socks are fun. I'm glad you got guage, the color looks pretty too!

    By Blogger Heather, at 6:15 PM  

  • pretty pretty yarn!!! and kudos to you for swatching and making gauge... i cheat and don't always do that. =P

    By Blogger Ruth, at 5:33 PM  

  • I got some Vesper yarn too! I can't wait to use it.

    By Blogger caitlyn, at 11:32 PM  

  • Good luck on Friday when you start the OLYMPICS! :) I'm rooting for Team Jes. :)

    By Blogger traveling knitter, at 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home