Banner

Thursday, March 30, 2006

FO: Oak ribbed socks

FOR DEB: JUST SAYIN' ;)


Yarn: 2 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Black Purl
Needles: US 2 set of 5 (but I only used 4) dpns - Crystal Palace
Gauge: Ummmm....I know it's bad for a sock, but I don't know
Pattern: Oak Ribbed from Knitting Vingtage Socks by Nancy Bush
Measurements: Size 9 feet according to pattern (with some adjustments)
Notes: I did everything according to plan except I made the heel flap two rows longer which led to me picking up 18 stitches instead of 16. I didn't decrease those extra stitches until the toe. I also accidentally started the toe a half inch later than I was supposed to, so I shortened the space between decreases. I also managed to pick up 19 stitches on the other sock, but I decreased them out. I have no idea why, but it works.
My only complaint is that when I picked up stitches there is a little hole on both sides right under the ankle at the join. I'm not sure if it's because of the way I picked up, the way I knitted the flap or the size of the needles, but it's slightly annoying. But only slightly - as in not enough to rip out and try again. Hopefully I can just fix it on the next socks.
Oh and I made exactly no attempt to match up the yarn. You can't really tell except for the enormous stripe on the top and bottom of both feet that are opposing colors. And you know what? I don't care. In fact, I love it. =)

More, less good pictures, for your viewing enjoyment.

5 Comments:

  • That's the legendary Gusset Hole. It's hard to avoid completely, but as you knit more socks you'll figure out ways to minimize it. Picking up an extra stitch or two at that "corner" and decreasing them away is a common trick. I watch very carefully how I pick up the stitches in that corner--I nearly always put my needle through 2 stitches instead of just one. And I'll try it a couple of times until I'm satisfied with the way it looks.

    Anyway, congrats on the finished socks! They look great. Lorna's is wonderful stuff--I bet they feel nice and soft. :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 4:55 PM  

  • great socks! love the colorway; it's a good thing you didn't agonize over color-matching, because LL is impossible to match up.

    i agree with beth--i usually pick up an extra stitch by fudging together a couple of differnt loops in that area. you could also just knit into the bar between the picked-up side stitch and instep stitch, like an M1 increase.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 PM  

  • They look great! I think I also pick up a stitch in between like a m1 increase now that Parikha mentioned it. And I'll check the round after picking up the stitches how it looks and if there's a hole I'll go back and use a crochet hook to pick up a stitch and make it look right.

    So what socks are you going to knit next?

    By Blogger Heather, at 6:40 PM  

  • What great socks!! I am also still struggling with the gusset hole issue. Sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's not. We'll get the hang of it someday!

    By Blogger caitlyn, at 2:20 AM  

  • The socks look wonderful Jes! Well done! I'm just sayin' :)

    I concur with the other commenters on getting rid of the gusset hole, I usually pick up whatever is necessary to close the hole and decrease away as needed. You can also take some yarn and SEW the hole closed...I was reading Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks, Warm Feet (great book btw!) and that is exactly what she does for errant gusset holes!

    Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Debi, at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home