Banner

Monday, March 27, 2006

It's coming....

Before I start, I must confess that this here blog might turn to the garden on a semi regular basis through the summer. I adore gardening and we have a great yard, with lots of potential. Last summer was spent ripping out some serious jungle overgrowth, and this year I have high hopes for what I can do, especially in the way of vegetables. So between the knits there will likely be shots of seeds and greens - and maybe even some jarring.

Yesterday, I went to the mall (where you would have thought it was only days before Christmas, what with all the shoppers - except ofcourse they were all wearing clothes like it was mid-August.), and when I got home our yard had all these weird dark spots. When my weak little eyes finally focused, I realized that it was birds. There were no less than a hundred starlings between our yard and our neighbor to the back. They were all fascinated with eating something off the lawn. Why the lawn? I thought. There's no bird seed there. Could this be the problem?


I guess it's time to start being vigilant about the bird feeder, so they can all make more baby birdies. This makes me happy, because more birdies, means less buggies. While, as a gardener, I have nothing against many a bug, I do have something against most of the bugs that birds eat, so I'm glad to bring them to the yard. And Jordan is glad to chase them away. *sigh* At least everyone is getting their exercise.

Anyhow, ofcourse by the time I got out to the yard with my camera there were no more birds. They must have sensed that I was coming to capture them for immortality and had to all fly off so that I had no proof that they were eating our lawn. But while I was out there I took some photos to prove that despite the icky weather we've been having lately, that nature knows that spring is upon us.
One of the few flowering bulbs that the people that we bought the house from had planted, that is actually blooming. I don't think any of them bloomed last year at all.

Extreme close up of the same flower.

This is a little flower I found in the ivy. I don't know if the ivy is flowering or if it's a different plant just trying to make it, but either way it's pretty.

This is a shot of our neighbor's yard. She has a lovely garden that she cares for frequently. If look you can kind of see a duck butt above the flowers. Jordan thought the duck was real the first day it was in the garden and I had to drag a confused dog in the house that morning because she couldn't stop barking at the statue.


This is a bloom on our Magnolia tree. At the end of the season, right before it loses it's leaves it produces these funny, little fuzzy pods. And when the spring comes they open and look like this....

This tree is stunning if full bloom. Once all the pick tulip like flowers pop out of their fuzzy homes, I will take a picture of it. I love to just stare at this tree in all it's glory.

And finally the hostas are coming up all over the place. They aren't my favorite plant, but they are fun to watch grow up every year. A heartier plant, I have not met.

Tomorrow I promise pictures of knitting, and possibly the socks. They are finished and have been on my feet, but the light was awful yesterday, so no photos. I hope to get them today or tomorrow, but in the meantime I have other things to distract you with.

4 Comments:

  • We have the same flowers in our yard! I know because James keeps picking them and bringing them inside for me :) We have the purple ones too. And we have a magnolia tree too, my favorite tree! Very pretty, I can't wait to see how your garden this summer, maybe I'll finally redo ours this year.

    By Blogger Heather, at 5:02 PM  

  • Such happy sights of spring! I wish I had a backyard where I could plant daffodils--I will just have to live vicariously through yours instead.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 AM  

  • Lovely almost spring flowers. I believe the little blue flower is a periwinkle. I love those magnolias...those fuzzy pods are because that type of magnolia has "pubescent" leaves (no kidding) if you look on the underside of the leaves you'll see they are fuzzy too. I miss those magnolias, the only ones I see here are the ones with the big, waxy green leaves and huge white blooms but oh that scent....mmmmmmm!

    By Blogger Debi, at 4:07 AM  

  • We are shamefully not vigilant about filling the bird feeders.....the birds get angry!!!

    By Blogger traveling knitter, at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home