Banner

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Wee hats for wee people

Here is my first preemie hat. It's out of Knitpicks Shine sport weight. It's awesome that I even have to say that it's their sport weight version, but that's another post ;) I did this on size 3 needles so that it would be nice and tight and warm. I fear that knitting out of cotton doesn't make for a particularly warm hat, so the tighter the better, I guess.
I have a bunch of Shine leftover from knitting the blanket, so I'm happy to use that up. I even have several full skeins left, which I've considered doing something else with, but fear that I will need more yarn and then be up the creek. This yarn was ordered in October, so the chances of the same dye lot existing anywhere are not good. I'm in no mood to take that chance.

Along with the shine I'm using two gigundo balls of yarn that I bought to make some other hats and things. The skeins are so huge, I could surely get something other than a hat out of them, but I feel that a blanket might be too time consuming. I could get so many hats made in the time it would take for one blanket. On the other hand, I could knit the blanket continental, which I can't do with the dpns. I have tried and tried, and it's nothing but messy and uncomfortable. So English it is. But, because I've been only working on these hats and the never ending sock, all I've been doing is tiny needles and throwing, and I'm staring to get a little crazy from it. Perhaps a blanket is just the thing. Hmmmm....

5 Comments:

  • yup mindless knitting is what you need. :)

    By Blogger traveling knitter, at 10:06 AM  

  • Oh.my.goodness. Could that child in the blanket look any cuter?! And with the pics of Jordan further on down the page - I'm on cuteness overload!

    BTW congrats on the camisole, the socks, and this preemie hat - do you knit a mile a minute?! :) Your post on the military wives and families was touching - and it's great that you're giving knitting time to doing this. It's inspiring!

    By Blogger tenacious knitter, at 10:24 AM  

  • Yea for easy knits!

    By Blogger amylovie, at 12:28 PM  

  • Adorable. Simply adorable. :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 2:08 PM  

  • Love these teenie hats! I'm sure they will be so appreciated Jes!!

    And Shine is just so soft! Perfect for a wee babe :)

    By Blogger Debi, at 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home