Banner

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A little bit frustrated...

Point 1:
Yesterday was the first warm day we've had in awhile and I was excited to get home and get some weeding done. I've needed to get my lettuce and bean bed planted for a week or so now and I've gotten nowhere. So last night I took myself out there and ripped up a 5 gallon bucket chcked full of spring onions that had somehow over run this bed in a matter of a year. Last year I don't recall there being much of anything in the bed before I planted flowers, and this year they are suddenly the masters of they survey. But no more. However, this bed is under a large tree and everywhere I hacked to get the onions out I hit tree root. Now this tree isn't doing so hot as it is, so I feel compelled to not rip up all it's little roots just to get spring onions out and lettuce in. So, after working for 2 straight hours on weeding, I decided that I needed to build a raised bed. Yes, I'm glad I got the weeding done, but it's a little annoying.

Point 2:
This sock that is going to drive me to drink....more. It's the Wendy's generic toe up pattern...sorta. I've had to increase the needle size to 1 (she says 0) add 4 more stitches to make 68 (her plans 60 and 64) and decided to use the figure 8 cast on instead of the short row toe. I liked the look of the short row, but I had all those issues with the purl and the knit wraps. Ofcourse I come to find out that I was a) knitting the wraps wrongly and b) didn't have to knit them at all. Also frustrating.

Point 3:
Okay it's still the sock, but it's a different problem. I was doing fine until I got to the heel directions. With some help from Deb, I found a bunch of other options, but got a little overwhelmed and decided to just give the short row heel by Wendy a try. I found that I didn't have to knit the wraps, and that helped a lot. Even knitting the wraps the right way left me with a hole, so I fixed them and moved on. Last night I put the sock on, seen here, and found that the length of the foot is just a hair too short to be comfortable. Now I have to either rip and reknit or hope that blocking helps. Well, you know me, I won't leave it and have to rip it . However, I'm going to give another heel a try. I don't mind making short rows in the least, but when you have a large number of stitches on one needle, say 34 or so, it becomes very uncomfortable to knit. It's not the end of the world, just frustrating.

Point 4:
I cannot for the life of me get a good picture of this sock color. Natural light, flash, no light - nothing works. You guessed it - frustrating.

Point 5:
Not having enough of the right size needles to do the Turkish cast on for the sock (hence the figure 8 instead) or to work on my elephant for my mom, and....

Point 6:
The yarn store is closed on Tuesdays! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I'm done whining. So I leave you with two semi-decent shots. They are of my rosemary plant that made it through the winter, much to my surprise. Not only did it make it, it flowered! I had no idea they flowered ever, but they do with these cute little purple flowers. I'm not sure if it affects the flavor of the leaves in the way that bolting does on basil and lettuce, but even if it does, I'm okay with it. This and the thyme made it through a winter where they should have perished forever, so no matter how they taste, they are winners in my book!

1 Comments:

  • I once tried to master the short-row heel, but my brain exploded. I don't think I will be going there again. ;-)

    Since you're committed to doing this sock toe-up, you could always try an afterthought heel instead; I don't see any reason why you couldn't do one of those toe-up instead of cuff-down. It might be harder to figure out exactly where to place the heel, though.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home