Banner

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Overnight Success...almost

Okay, to start I just want to check that I'm not boring you with all my gardening stuff. It is sort of consuming my life right now, and by nature, the blog as well. I am going to try to make it clear about which part is gardening and which is knitting so you're not reading some intense horticultural post when you don't give a flying you know what....
Anyhow, this is about gardening and below is about knitting.

Yesterday, I went into check on the ol' seeds after taking a two hour nap that I apparently didn't know I needed, and I spotted these guys. I only planted these babies on Sunday, and look how big they were this morning. It's amazing to me, since the earliest anyone was supposed to show their face was after ten days or so. I suppose that 10-14 day timeline means until everyone is up and running, not just sprouting up.


The picture on the left is zucchini which is why they are so huge. Those seeds are large and in charge, but I still planted two per pint. Ofcourse there are two coming up in one pint and none in the others, but I'm not worried. The picture on the right is a roma tomato that wasn't there last night and literally sprouted above the dirt and this tall overnight. There are two cherry tomatoes coming up too, but they pretty much look like the roma. It not seem like a big deal but a tomato seed is about the size of a small sesame seed, so they have a long ways to go.
I really can't express how excited I was to see these guys popping up. Literally, jumping up and down, yelling, and doing the happy dance. Think the feeling that you get when you were sure you were going to run out of that discontinued yarn in the rare colorway that has marinated in the stash for years - waiting for the perfect pattern you just found - that no one has any left overs of and you were sure you were going to run out of, but finish the sweater with only a few yards to spare. It's that kind of success for me. And as soon as at least one of every kind of plant in there makes its debut I will feel the relief that you get after you have seemed and blocked and gifted or worn said beautiful sweater =)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*KNITTING CONTENT BELOW~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Today I made a trip over to ye olde local yarn store to browse and pick up some more needles. I was willing to take any of the kinds of needles that I don't have to finish any of the projects that are lying around the house unfinished. Now, I like my yarn store, she has a good selection, a nice space, a fairly friendly atmosphere, but the needle selection makes me sad. I know that most people would be elated to see rows and rows of brittany and addi on the shelves in every length and size, but it annoys me. Alright, I'm coming out and saying it, I hate Addi's. Both kinds. The nickel ones are too blunt, they hurt my hands, and no matter what I'm working on, are too slippery. The Natura ones are okay, but the join is hateful. I have tried knitting with worsted and with fingering on my only pair of 5s and every yarn I've tried gets stuck in that join. I know many of you like them, and to each his own, but I can't stand them. Maybe someday I'll change my tune, but for now, I'm sticking by my Crystal Palace. All shapes, all sizes, all lengths. Mwah.
ANYHOW....rant over. As I didn't manage to be able to find any of the circs I needed to finish elephant or to do turkish cast on, I hunted through the dpns. I grabbed a set of brittany birch 5" size 1s. I've decided that to separate myself from the angstd that I feel for the sock that is too short with the heel I care not to knit again, so I'm going to start on the new skein and work the foot and try another heel. By the time I finish that sock, I will be over my pain and anger mostly and won't feel as
bad about ripping out the heel and knitting just a little bit longer a foot. My plan is to use the short row YO heel as seen here and as advised by my sock queen. It boggles my mind slightly just from looking at the pictures, but new things always do. This is why I have the one new thing at a time rule. I can multi-task a lot of things, but learning is not one of those things. So, when I get to the hell heel, which won't be for awhile, I will sit me down in front of the computer and figure it out. For now, I'm pretending like there is no heel, in order to release some stress I have related to this little pockety goodness.
So, soon, some pictures of the other sock, and of the garter stitch blanket that I'm working on - you know for the slow mental days, and the hat I never blogged, and so forth. Until then, I will be knitting in the times that I can tear myself away from watching the flowers vegetables grow.

4 Comments:

  • Sock Queen, hee!

    I love seeing your gardening stuff, I'm living it vicariously thru your efforts! :)

    Make sure to get a copy of PG-R "Dream Socks" or Booites patterns off the IK site to go with the pics on the Purlwise site. Sometimes reading the words helps demyistify the pics! And i'm here if you need me!

    By Blogger Debi, at 2:19 AM  

  • Don't be sorry about the gardening stuff! I've never been able to keep plants alive, so everything you're doing is a bit magical to me. But maybe just maybe, your passion for it will inspire me to try it some day. :)

    I am sooo with you on knitting the other sock and leaving the ripping until later. Sometimes knitting is a psychological game with oneself, isn't it?! I guess other things can be too, but I notice it the most with knitting.

    Thanks for all the food for thought you gave me on designing - and you're creating other sites? Wow, where do you get your energy? :)

    By Blogger tenacious knitter, at 11:52 AM  

  • Holy moly. That is one extremely fussy heel. I wouldn't have the patience! But there must be something to it, since short-row heel enthusiasts are usually really passionate about it.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:57 AM  

  • We carry the Plymouth band of bamboo needles at my store. They are fab! Better than CP in my opinion, and cheaper. You should give them a try one day.

    Amy

    By Blogger SAM, at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home