Banner

Monday, April 17, 2006

Under achiever and Over acheiver

The under acheiver: me
This is the garter stitch blanket that I've been working on. It's my mindless knitting. Sadly, it's been about all I can handle lately. I'm working it continental style, which I really needed for awhile after I knit that first toe up sock in about three days. You know, the sock that I screwed up the heel on, and haven't touched since? Yeah, that one. So, in lieu of having the mental energy to start the second sock so I could get the heel right on that one, I've been working on this. I think it's around 150 stitches across on US 5. It's not huge, but it's a nice size for a preemie or newborn, which is who it's planned for. I've planned it to be yellow blue yellow and I've started the blue stripe in the middle. I've only done 2 rows of the blue so far because the neighbors were having a crazy party and I couldn't take the noise of the window rattling from their bass and longer. I'm sure I'll be working on this a lot, especially considering how much work I've been doing and will be doing in the garden, and how tired it's making me. I also wouldn't be surprised if when I'm done this, I start another. It might just be the summer of the blanket.

The over acheiver: the plant
This not so little anymore zucchini plant is crazy. It popped up out of the ground only 3 days after it was planted, and by two days lafter that I had to prop up the lid to the container because it was touching it. I had to run out and get transplanting supplies so that I could get it out of there. So I got some soil and a 3" peice of PVC coupling and made some paper planters for them. These are the only over acheivers who have warranted a transplant. This plant is around 5" tall now, and none of the other zucchini seeds (of which there are 2 in each pot) have even surfaced yet. Neither have any of the pepper plants. I've still got hope and fingers and toes crossed for them. I figure I'm okay with only one zuc since they say if you're going to have a zucchini plant, you'd better have friends.... but I really have hopes for the peppers. I love to eat peppers, and I'd be sad to be without them. At least I still have time to break down and buy them at the nursery if none of these 8(!) come up.
Anyhow, everybody else looks like this, quite a contrast, but they're all growing in proportion to their seeds. And it doesn't matter anyhow, cuz they're so darn cute!

4 Comments:

  • Wow, I can't believe how huge that zucchini plant is! I love zucchini so I'll help you eat them! I hope one grows for me :)

    By Blogger Heather, at 3:48 PM  

  • Did you slip that zuc some roids??It's the Barry Bonds of zucchini!! :)

    By Blogger Debi, at 6:16 PM  

  • That zucchini plant is going to take over your garden! I LOVE fresh zucchini. There are so many ways to cook it. What kind of yarn are you using for your garter stitch blanket?

    By Blogger knitfriendly, at 10:47 AM  

  • Attack of the killer zucchini?...

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home