Banner

Monday, June 19, 2006

An attack of Start-itis

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their help and kind words about everything random I've been writing about lately. I feel like I'm all over the place lately, and you gals are following right along. So thank you for coming along for the ride. And thank you to all the people that have commented that I can't get back to because Blogger stinks and won't let me reply. The comments are greatly appreciated. =)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


When last I came up for air I noticed that I had purchased a unreasonable amount of sock yarn and little to no other weights, and I realized I didn't care. But suddenly it has hit me that I want to do other things. Many other things. And all at once. I have gone from the focused finisher to the ADD knitter, with no understanding of how or why. Why, today alone I've set myself up with four skeins of Sugar & Cream to make face/dish cloth wrappers for presents to our friends who are getting married THIS weekend. As if that's not bad enough, they really need to be done and ready to go by Friday morning so they can be packed, because we're spending the weekend away at this not so far away destination wedding. The best part is that I have NO idea what we would "wrap" in these cloths. Well, I have some ideas, but none of them are good.
Ofcourse, it would have been better to come up with this not so brilliant idea before the weekened so I would have had more time to work on them, but I was thinking too hard about the yarn for the Picovoli, which I got on Saturday. I cast on that evening and spent my knitting time this weekend working on it. Above is as far as I've gotten. I decided to edge it in seed stitch because I've heard that no amount of steaming was going to stop the rolling, and I'm just not up for that. It's only 5 rows, but that's what took me the longest, ofcourse. I'm knitting this continetal, but since my purling really really stinks, I did the seed stitch by throwing, and there went my free time. Ah, seed stich, you are so lovely, and so painful.
And, as if getting cloths done by this weekend, and the seed stitch-ovli done in time to wear it this summer, and the foot of the second jaywalker that I seem to refuse to work on, isn't enough, I'm sitting here surfing for lace patterns! I must be crazy. I've decided that I want to make a shawl for my Grandmother and a stole for my Mother as potential "wedding" presents, if you will. They wouldn't be due for another year or so, so I figured now is a good time to get started so that I don't get stressed out when something doesn't work, or with Christmas knitting, and so forth. But as any procrastinator knows, the longer you give yourself to finish something, the more you're going to get absorbed in the "planning" and the less in the doing, and the closer you are willing to wait to the finish date because it's all planned so well, it will just fly by. Yeah. right.
So, out of nowhere, I've decided that I need a few more sets of hands so I can work on several knitting projects at once. Plus I've decided that I need to rearrange my office and clean the heck out of it. Oh, and paint the living room and dining room. And give the house the good "spring cleaning" it didn't get before. And a whole myriad of other things that I'm excited about starting.
I'm really not sure who I'm channeling right now, but it's kind of cool. That is, as long as this starter happens to be a finisher too. I guess that remains to be seen!

And in the Polling the People part of the blog:
If anyone knows any fabulous shawl patterns or laceweight yarns, let me know. I'm liking things like this and this and this. I like the shawls to have a clear, well written pattern that won't make my head explode, but not painful monotony either. I'd also like it to either be not be too large or work from the bottom up, so I can make it as large as I want. My Grandmother is a small woman and doesn't need a shawl with a 7 foot wingspan.
On the yarn front, I'm liking the slightly fuzzy ones, like Kid Silk Haze, but am worried about the mohair itchiness factor, the fact that it would be for summer wear, and the price. I feel like I've worked with a fair amount of different weights of yarn, but no laceweights, so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

And now that I've been crazed, obnoxious and demanding, all in the same post, I think I'll go surf some more new things to make. Clearly, this isn't going to get better anytime soon.

8 Comments:

  • Welcome to the dark side! ADD knitting can be frustrating, but also satisfying, like feeding the needy soul :) Give in, you'll soon be back to focused knitting.

    By Blogger tenacious knitter, at 5:30 PM  

  • Sorry I passed on the Start-itis, I'm feeling more focused lately, you'll come back around soon.

    I love Picovoli so far, it looks great!

    By Blogger Heather, at 9:31 PM  

  • Diamond Fantasy Shawl in Blue Heron Cotton. Pattern goes from scarf to shawl and everything in between. It's well written and beautiful too!

    By Blogger Debi, at 9:46 PM  

  • It is so nice to hear that someone else is going through this! I thought I was the only crazy knitter. I am working on so many projects and can't seem to concentrate on one. The nice thing is that a few months down the road, we will hopefully be more focused and have a stringline full of FOs! Good luck....

    By Blogger knitfriendly, at 10:18 AM  

  • Thanks for the link to the washcloths I made. I'm totally an ADD knitter right now. Nothing that takes longer than a few days or I'm bored lately. I think it's the summer weather. Good luck with the washcloths. I'm sure they'll be fabulous.

    By Blogger erica, at 7:21 PM  

  • I totally understand how you feel....I wish I could help on the lace but I'm just not a lace knitter yet. I too have an inordinate amount of sock yarn. :)

    By Blogger traveling knitter, at 10:11 PM  

  • check out the cover of knitters, current issue and Interweave spring issue for 2 lace ideas

    By Blogger Amy, at 10:35 AM  

  • You can't go wrong with any of the Fiber Trends lace shawl patterns. They're very well written (though the colored paper they use can make them a bit hard to read.) I have my eye on the Seascape Shawl--the shape is very intriguing (sort of half-circular, but really more like a half-polygon, and I really like that. It's very distinctive.)

    I also recommend a visit to the Blackberry Ridge website--they have tons of lovely shawl kits.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home