Banner

Monday, June 05, 2006

There is too much brass in my living room...

Saturday night Fiance and I went out to dinner with some of our friends and then we all retired to our house. Well, 3 out of 4 of us were musicians (ahem, I'll let you guess who the odd man woman out was) and so out came all of the instruments that Fiance and I had brought back with us from Cali. At one point three people were holding various large brass instruments, one of which almost touched the ceiling, (seen here) in my cunning shot of Fiance at work on the Soussaphone, and all I could think was that there was too much brass in my living room. Those words came out loud and my friend noted that that was not a phrase she had ever heard before, and was not likely to hear again. However, I say that if you had seen this brass and heard some of the sounds that they were making, you'd have thought the same thing. =)

Now onto actual knitting....
For your viewing pleasure I bring you one completed Jaywalker. I knit and knit on Friday, and was determined to finish this one. It seemed like the toe was taking forever, but then you get to those last few rounds and suddenly you're like the flash, and it's done. Well, all but the grafting. The grafting of those 14 or so stitches took a good half hour. It turned out pretty well, but I did what I always do and accidentally split one of the plies with my darning needle. I don't know how I manage to do this every stinking time I graft a toe, but I do. I need to learn how to not do this, because with my big, wide feet, the flat toe is incredibly more comfortable than a round or pointed toe. I'd take some advice, so long as it's not graft more loosely at first (tried that, didn't help) or pay more attention (I focused intently on not splitting it, and I still did).
So, anyhow, after I finished this Jaywalker I cast on for the second one. I would say "immediately" but that would depend on your definition of immediate. If your definition is within the next two days, then I'm good to go. This is how far I've gotten on the second sock.

Don't look at me like that. At least I cast on, twice! but we won't get into that. That's 84 freaking stitches right there, and casting on is my least favorite thing to do. Doing it twice, regardless of the stupidity behind needing to, is a monument unto itself. As long as I can get it on the toothpicks needles and join, and knit the correct ribbing a couple of rows, I'm good to go. The toe may have annoyed me, but I'm rather fond of the pattern, so it won't take much to get me to work on it. That is, if I can pull myself away from the other socks I'm working on....

6 Comments:

  • Very pretty! Would I be a copy-cat if I made the same pattern with the same yarn? Maybe I'll do the Jaywalkers with the Somerset yarn and something like Conwy with the Vera.

    I need to cast on a pair of socks! I finished the others over a week ago and haven't been able to settle on a pattern & yarn.

    I'm proud of you for casting on right away, makes it easier I think! For some reason I tend to finish the 2nd sock faster, I think because I'm tired of them and want to start a new pair!

    By Blogger Heather, at 8:08 PM  

  • Get yourself an orange sock chibi! I find the bent tip helps to avoid the dreaded snagging of the ply (that screws up your whole grafting!) I got mine at The Mannings if you need an online source! www.the-mannings.com

    By Blogger Debi, at 12:48 AM  

  • Hey there! Nice Jaywalkers! I have to get off my butt, or rather on my butt, and knit some for myself!!! :)

    By Blogger traveling knitter, at 11:11 AM  

  • Oh, I know all about too much brass in the living room! My dad's a trombonist. Bass trombone, regular old trombone, jazz, classical, whatever. Our house was full of 'em when I was growing up. Trombones and music stands everywhere.

    Your Jaywalker is very, very cool. :-) I wonder, what do you think of the slipped stitch running down the foot? I was thinking about leaving that detail out when I get to the foot on mine. I find it's hard to remember to do it, for some reason.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:50 AM  

  • Nice JW's. I need to jump on the bandwagon.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 10:06 PM  

  • That's a beautiful colorway for Jaywalkers! I still haven't tried that pattern. Thanks for the "too much brass" laugh!

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home