Banner

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Running out of yarn

I seem to have a problem lately, where I run out of yarn with just a few stitches left. So.frustrating. I have finished my pico, nearly killing my hands in the process, but I ran out of yarn working on it. I don't know if it was the seed stitch or the attempt to add some length, but I got to the last inch or so before the seed stitch and noticed that the skein was looking a little thin. I thought I might have had another skein, but after searching for a couple of minutes I went back to it and counted ends. Nope, 5 skeins ordered, 5 joins on the shirt. Doh! So I knit and knit until I ran out of yarn. In fact, since I'm constantly thinking I'm going to run out of yarn, and I don't, I decided to give it a try for one more round. I came up about 10 stitches short. Blast! and some other not so lady like words may have been muttered. So I tinked back almost 200 stitches and cut off the excess. I ended up using some cream Shine that I had leftover from the baby blanket to finish the bottom and the sleeves. When I get some energy, and the watermelon stain out of it, I will show the FO.
In the meantime, I haven't had anything to knit except the bind off for the DFS, so last night I got to it. Honestly, I thought it would take me much longer to do, but I did the i-cord bind off for over 200 stitches in about an hour. I was pretty happy with that. What I wasn't happy with was that the above pic is how many stitches I had left, and this pic is how much yarn left I had left to do them and weave in.
So.not.pleased. I ended up having to take the other ball and do a russian join so that I could do these stitches and weave the end in. I sure hope it stays. It's a light shawl, and I sort of doubt it will be used all that much, so I'm optimistic, but we'll see.

So, the shawl is done, but I have to block it. We've loaned our futon/guest bed to someone, so now I don't have a large space to block the sucker. I'm thinking I can throw a bunch of towels on the bed and do it this weekend during the day. Otherwise, I got nothing until the futon comes back. I guess it's not all that important because the wedding isn't for a year, but it would be nice to see what it looks like. Right now, it's pretty silly looking - all wide and short. Tugging on it just isn't the same. Plus, I'd like to know how this yarn blocks so I can decide if I want to use it again for any of the other shawls I plan to do. But more on that later. Hey, a girl's got to save something to talk about when the blogs a little slow and the new yarn is still on it's way. =)

6 Comments:

  • No matter how many knitting blogs I see, it never fails to stun me. I had no idea this hobby was so popular.

    By Blogger LeperColony, at 4:39 PM  

  • I am so sorry to hear that you ran out of yarn. On the upside, it looks like that shine is coming in handy! I am going to have TONS left over from my blanket as well. I am on the home stretch by the way. I am working on the last row of blocks. Woo hoo! Now all of those ends to weave in....

    By Blogger knitfriendly, at 9:58 AM  

  • Can't wait to see the finished DFS! Hope your luck changes soon for having enough yarn to finish projects.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 9:58 AM  

  • Even tho your yarn let you down, you made lemonade out of lemons! :)
    Running out of yarn SUX! Could be why I haven't touched myV Vittidini cabled top...I'm afraid and I already checked with the vendor - no more of my dye lot :( I might do a Jes and put a lace trim in a complimentary color :)

    Have a great weekend hunny, stay cool!

    By Blogger Debi, at 6:34 AM  

  • I can't believe you tinked back 200 sts! AND did an i-cord seam for 200? I'm truly impressed at your patience and dedication :) and your shawl looks fantabulous. Definitely, wear it out with pride!

    By Blogger tenacious knitter, at 10:09 AM  

  • Running out of yarn is the worst feeling. I always buy an extra ball for that very reason.

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home