Banner

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

August Birthday Package!

On Friday, which was my birthday, I received my birthday swap package from Jennifer. I was so excited. This is actually the first swap I've ever done, and believe me, I'm pleased as punch. Below are the pictures of my great package.
Mine will be going out soon to a whole 'nother continent later this week. It's all gathered, I just have to wrap it up, and hermetically seal it so no one is tempted to crack it open. I've found that the more painful something looks to open, the less likely it is to get inspected at customs. Lots of packing tape is used to acheive this effect. =)

Left: The box all wrapped up nice. If it looks a little mutilated, that's my fault. Bull in a china shop I tell you.
Right: Look at that kitty face in all that yarn! Cats are so cute when they're in pictures and aren't shedding all over creation.


Left: Contents of the box. The box itself is wooden and has little tape measures painted all over it. I have picture but it's horribly dark. You're just going to have to take my word on this one. It's very cool.
Right: A ton of enormous smarties. I love smarties. Can't get enough of them! And these one are ginormous. I literally jumped up and down when I saw these candies =)



Left: Dog used for scale to show you how big these smarties are!
Right: The final contents of the package. That's a wire knitting pattern for earrings, some wire to work with, 2 skeins of garnstudio cotton/viscose, a wee scrapbooking kit, 2 fabby lotions and some balm from bath and bodyworks, 1 giant skein of the softest yarn ever, 1 sock pattern, and another very cute card. (excluding enormous bundle of smarties)



In knitting news, all I have left to do is kitchener the toe of the second jaywalker. I would have done it last night, but I need an hour of peace and quiet to kitchener and then another hour of cussing and general complaining to fix my grafting mistake. Good times, I tell you. I didn't have said time last night, but I should later this week.

Since I didn't have time to finish something, I cast on and knit through the first three pattern rounds of the embossed leaves socks for IK. I used the medium weight STR that I got at MD S&W, but it's not working out. I thought that I was going to need an extra 4 stitches in the sock to make it wide enough around, but it ended up being too big. This is the second failed attempt with this brand of yarn, and I'm thoroughly frustrated with it. I have some dark green koigu in the stash and I think that since the pattern is written with that, that that's what I'm going to use. I have to decided if I'm going to put those extra stitches in or not. I definately didn't need them with the STR, but it's a good deal heavier than the koigu. I think I'm going to stick with the pattern and see how it goes. Really, the sock cuff is as good as a swatch to me, and what's another trip to frog pond? *sigh*

3 Comments:

  • Oh geez, I missed your birthday! And you had a counter and everything. I hope it was a good one!

    I am amazed at how stretchy the Embossed Leaves pattern is. I passed it up when the magazine first came out because I didn't think a 64-st sock would ever fit (I'm a pretty tight knitter) but it DOES, and with room to spare! I think you will be fine with the Koigu.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 3:06 PM  

  • Your swap package looks great! Wow, nice presents. And those are the hugest smarties I've ever seen.

    Kitchener stitch is devilish. I did some bizarre version of it on the I-cord & cable on my shell.

    By Blogger Carrie K, at 4:46 PM  

  • I am happy to hear that you had a good birthday. Your swap package is full of great stuff! Those wire earings look like they are going to be challenging but rewarding in the end.

    By Blogger knitfriendly, at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home