Banner

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

FO Report: Diamond Fantasy Shawl



Yarn:
Peruvian Baby Silk from Elann in Mocha
Needles: Size 6 (4.25mm) 24inch Crystal Palace circs.
Gauge: It's lace. I never did a stockinette swatch.
Pattern: Diamond Fantasy Shawl by Sivia Harding (scarf length)
Time to Knit: June 22 - July 19
Notes: This is a great pattern, especially for a first time lace/shawl knitting. It is stunning, error free and easy to adapt. I wish that I would have been sure that I had enough yarn because I would have done another repeat. The only thing I recommend is to put in stitch markers for the repeats - especially for a first time lacer.
The yarn was also wonderful. It's soft, squishy, and a pleasure to work with. Best of all it's cheap. The only draw back here - I've found that I'm allergic to alpaca - bummer =(

(Strange look as a result of weird-neighbor activities. Seriously, very bizarre music)









-----------------------------------
This is the beginning of the parade of FOs. I could almost get one every day this week, but I'm a project short. Shucks!
I'm currently working on Leda's Dream stole. It's wonderful and I'm loving it, except I found I made a mistake. It's a good 30 rows back and ten rows above the life line so I'm at an impass. It looks really horrible to me, and I don't think I can go on without fixing it. It's in a seven stitch repeat, and I'm thinking of trying to insert another lifeline just below the error and pulling down those seven stitches, and reknitting them up. I know it's drastic, but it's better than having to reknit the entire 40 rows that are done in between. And if it doesn't work, there's no harm in trying. I expect it will look as scary as this (scroll to June 23rd), except I have no carpet to work on. You can't exactly pin your stole to the hardwood floors, so I haven't figured out what to do there, yet, but I'll get it sorted. If it works, the biggest pain will come from having the whole thing pinned out and having to knit backwards instead of turning the work to purl it. Honestly, if I'm able to fix the mistake this way, and that's the only "issue" I have to deal with, then sign me up!

7 Comments:

  • Oh, it's purty! :-) I've been curious about the baby silk for a while now. I love the color you chose... it'll go with anything!

    Leda's Dream looks like a lovely pattern, and fairly straightforward, so fixing mistakes shouldn't be *too* horrible... it's a rectangle, so you don't have to worry about shaping, at least. Small mercies, right? Anyway, I admire your gumption. :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 3:09 PM  

  • It looks beautiful on you!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 4:37 PM  

  • The DFS looks fantastic! Well done!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 5:58 PM  

  • The shawl came out beautiful!

    Neighbors. Don't you love them?

    An FO for every day of the week? Even almost? Jealousy! envy!

    By Blogger Carrie K, at 6:41 PM  

  • You are really on a role, I can't believe how many projects you are finishing! I finally picked up my ugly green sweater again, I swear I take so long to knit something I won't like it by the time I finish it. Oh well, I'm determined to finish it. I spend more time staring at it having doubts than knitting. I could be finished by now if I would just knit and not think so much.

    The DFS turned out great, you're making me want to knit something lace! It's a perfect size too.

    By Blogger Heather, at 7:38 PM  

  • It's stunning Jes! Well done! The DFS is one of my favorites too...AND I'm allergic to alpaca! :::que Twilight Zone Music:::
    Can't wait to see all your other FOs!

    By Blogger Debi, at 8:05 PM  

  • This is EXACTLY the same problem I had with my Leda's Dream. I noticed a glaring error in the 7 stitch repeat, at least 30 rows back. Since that repeat never changes, I decided to drop down just that section and then knit it back up. It made me very tense to do it, but it worked and I know that once I block it, the slight irregularities of the stitches there will even out!
    I'm starting my second edging piece and then I'll be DONE. Hope yours turned out wonderful!

    By Blogger Sandra, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home