Banner

Thursday, September 07, 2006

FO Report: Picovoli


Yarn: Shine Sport by Knitpicks in Aquamarine
Needles: Size 5 (3.75mm) 24inch Crystal Palace circs.
Gauge: 5.5 sts/inch
Pattern: Picovoli from Magknits (pattern by Grumperina) size 36" bust
Time to Knit: June 16 - July 15
Notes: This was a pretty simple knit. I made some changes to accomodate in the sense that the sizing in the pattern is a little big if you have an in between chest size and because I ran out of yarn. The original pattern calls for 6 sts/inch guage and I lowered my needle size to get 5.5 sts. This way I took an inch off around the entire peice, and it worked out perfectly. I had also heard that the rolling of the stockinette wasn't going to stop, even with the picos, so I opted for tedious, but lovely to look at, seed stitch. I did it around the neck line, the sleeves and the bottom -5 rows each. It worked out very well, but with the seed stitch and the attempt to add some length to it, I ran out of yarn. I happened to have some shine in cream on hand, so I used that to finish off the bottom and the sleeves. If I had known that I might run out, I would have used it around the neckline too. I like the way it looks, but perhaps not with this color combo. This color turned out to be mintier than I had originally hoped, but that's the thing about shine, it's always brighter than you'd expect.
I think it turned out well over all, and I'd recommend these changes to anyone who makes it. The seed stitch was a litttle painful with that lack of stretch in the yarn, but it's well worth the results. I think it's a great pattern and good yarn combo, and perfect for anyone who hasn't really made a garment before and/or wants to learn bust/waist shaping.

4 Comments:

  • It's beautiful and it looks GREAT on you!!! Well done!

    You remember I was worried about running of out yarn too? Turns out it was for the AV cabled shell I just finished and I ended up with 2.5 skeins left over, D'oh! You think maybe we should consult next time, maybe two heads can get it right? :)

    By Blogger Debi, at 11:54 PM  

  • She looks wonderful on you. And that color....my favorite!

    Amy

    By Blogger amylovie, at 7:43 AM  

  • I love how it turned out! That was a great idea to use the seed stitch. It lays perfectly flat! I have a ton of KP Shine Sport left over from the blanket as well. How much of your yarn did you end up using for this Picvoli?

    By Blogger knitfriendly, at 10:02 AM  

  • Look at you cranking out the FOs! :-)

    I like the seed stitch, personally. You're right, it's terribly slow to knit, but always looks so neat and elegant when it's over with. ;-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home